29 July 2016

from Anne Boyer's Garments Against Women

from The Innocent Question: 
Monuments are interesting mostly in how they diminish all other aspects of the landscape. Each highly perceptible thing makes something else almost imperceptible. 

from No World but the World: 
There were seas (and these were rapid seas). There were islands (and these arose from the rabid seas). There were certain conventions at these times: to fly, to conference, to panel, to anthologize. In other circles it was to contest, submit, or award. I'd never been granted anything. I was perfectly willing to assign to my own refusal some sort of pathology. I was already sick, so what would I retrieve? 

from Not Writing: 
I would like to drink wine from a wooden bowl or to drink water from an emptied bottle of wine. I am not writing stories based on Nathaniel Hawthorne's unwritten story ideas. I am not writing online dating profiles. I am not writing anonymous communiques. I am not writing textbooks. 

from What Is "Not Writing"?: 
There is talking which is like writing and which produces not writing in equal measure to producing writing. There is an amount of time not writing which is not wanting to actually have to talk to humans unless it is in order to get them to have sex or in order to convince them to leave. There is sleep, which is often dreams, which is closer to writing—dreams are more like writing than not writing in that they are not intruded upon in their moments by the necessities of all paid work, care work, social expectations, romantic love or talking to people. 

from Ma Vie en Bling: A Memoir: 
These systems that amplified my loneliness included cars, airplanes, computers, and telephones. These systems included universities, literary presses, major American cities, the U.S. mail, and several private mail carriers including U.P.S. and Federal Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment